My Goal Is God Himself

The heavens declare the glory of the Lord. Psalm 19:1

The heavens declare the glory of the Lord. Psalm 19:1

This morning I was replying to a post on another blog, and a Hymn written by Frederick Brook was brought to mind. It is a heart cry for God to do what He has to do in us,  at any cost to ourselves.

Whatever it takes Lord, Please Do It!

My goal is God Himself, not joy, nor peace,
Nor even blessing, but Himself, my God;
‘Tis His to lead me there—not mine, but His—
At any cost, dear Lord, by any road.
<><><>
So faith bounds forward to its goal in God,
And love can trust her Lord to lead her there;
Upheld by Him, my soul is following hard
Till God hath full fulfilled my deepest prayer.
<><><>
No matter if the way be sometimes dark,
No matter though the cost be oft-times great,
He knoweth how I best shall reach the mark,
The way that leads to Him must needs be strait.
<><><>
One thing I know, I cannot say Him nay;
One thing I do, I press towards my Lord;
My God my glory here, from day to day,
And in the glory there my great Reward.
Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Hymns/Psalms, Poetry and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to My Goal Is God Himself

1. lyn says:

What a beautiful picture! And the post was just as beautiful…it brings to mind this passage from Phil. 3:12, ‘Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me’…with the emphasis on’press on’.
    Blessings to you this day dear sister Jess!

2. Steph says:

Hi Lyn 😀
    It is a lovely poem/hymn and most certainly something for us to think about. Too often our service for the Lord supersedes our desire for the Lord Himself. I have seen this in my own life for many years, but did not know there was any alternative – I always equated them the same, but am finding they are not even remotely on the same page. I understand now why Oswald Chambers says “God. first, God second and God third.” and also “If you look after the Source, God will take care of the outflow”

This picture I took from my roof – I have been dabbling in photography since May and have been really blessed by it, and am so enjoying the skies. It truly is a case of “The heavens declare the glory of the Lord.”

Bless you dear sis!!
    Steph

3. Diane says:

Hi Steph!

Wow! You took this picture? It is truly lovely and such a testament to the beauty of Christ! The glory of His creation.

I know sometimes I look at my lack of “doing anything big for God” as puzzling, or I look at it with some longing to be different. I wonder…is God happy with this tiny little bit of ministry that I attempt to do? 🙂

I know He will show me what it is He requires of me, not doubting but trusting that He is working it all out in me. Perhaps there are seasons He keeps us as the only flower in the forest, isolated, silent, not to be noticed by others, just so He can gaze upon us…for His pleasure alone. One of His redeemed and at peace with Him.

May He richly bless you!!!

4. Pingback: Are you willing to throw your all on the Lord Jesus? « Faith Defenders

5. Ajit Perera says:

To desire God above every other thing, even His blessings, to know Him and be known by Him must truly be the most fulfilling thing for then we could truly say with David ” Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you.” (Ps.73:25) WOW, Lord help us to become such people.

6. Steph says:

Hi Ajit 😀
    Thanks so much for your visit and your wonderful comment. I too can say along with you, “Lord help us to become such people”
    Bless you

7. Bodie says:

I am trying to find out something about Frederick Brook and some history of his “My Goal”……can you tell me anything about him?

8. Steph says:

Hi Bodie 🙂
    Thanks for your visit and question.I have tried to find out something about him, to no avail and have asked a brother who has many years experience in this area of hymns. I will post it as a separate post, linking back to this one, so either pop over again from time to time, or link to my feed. Bless you, Steph

9. Steph says:

Hi again Bodie – your info came up as I thought it might with Robert’s knowledge. His site is called Wordwise Hymns (http://wordwisehymns.com)

He says this:

Thanks for your kind words. As to the hymn…Wow! I must have checked about 30 resources, online and in my library. Can’t tell you much. The hymn is found in both Living Hymns (#303), and Hymns of the Christian Life (#248). Both of these hymnals list the author as F. Brook. Where did you get the name Frederick? Because actually the author is a woman named Frances! She was the daughter of an English clergyman, and she was born in 1870. She had a great passion for missionary work, but health problems kept her from foreign missionary service, though two of her sisters went abroad serving the Lord.

In addition to “My Goal is God Himself” (written in 1895) she wrote several other songs, including a hymn called “My Home Is God Himself” (written in 1899). Of the latter hymn, she said, “The helpful testimony of another of God’s children, and my own deep need of restfulness in Him, led me to the truth expressed in [this hymn].” It actually reminds me of some wonderful lines from Charles Dickens’ novel Nicholas Nickleby. Smike, speaking to Nicholas–the only one who’d ever shown him any love and kindness–says, “You are my home!”

Hope that’s a bit of help. Pretty obscure hymn writer, but a beautiful hymn.

So, we both find out ‘he’ is a ‘she’ 😀
    Hope this helps you some
    Bless you
    Steph

10. Pingback: Are you willing to throw your all on the Lord Jesus? « Aletheuo

11. Bodie says:

Thanks Steph…..

Hadn’t check for a reply until now….thought I would get an email notification. Whenever I hear a quote or some song that seems to resonate with me I like to read something about the author. I have been blessed by the lives of many of them. I will see what I can find out about Frances Brook. I did find the F. Brook and Frederick Brook as the author on different sites but no other background.
    Thanks again,
    bodie

12. Steph says:

Hi Bodie
    Am so glad you popped back 😀
    I too like to know about authors of songs and books that have touched my soul – I have been most blessed by reading the biographies of men and women of God – usually from long ago.

The Lord Bless you
    Steph

13. Zoran Sulc says:

I first saw this hymn in the ’80s in the front of a book (At Any Cost by Mertis Heimbach published by OMF) about a New Zealand missionary to Thailand, Roy Orpin, who was killed there. The words are wonderful. We started to sing it in our fellowship from the Redemption Hymnal – beautiful tune – I always weep a little when singing it especially the final verse “one thing I know I cannot say him nay”. Glad to have seen on Youtube that others know it – it’s too blessed to be forgotten

14. Steph says:

Hi Zoran
    Thank you for your comment and visit. It is such a blessing when the Lord speaks to us through the words of another Christian’s life in this way. Thank you too for sharing your story about this most glorious hymn.
    In Christ, Steph 😀

15. Bandy Mills says:

Greetings, Sister in Christ,
    I just discovered this beautiful hymn yesterday and was so blessed by it. Thanks for going to the trouble to find the information on its author. Do you mind if I copy the background info from Robert to my blog? I posted the lyrics yesterday and would like to add the background on Frances as a side note. 🙂

16. Steph says:

Hi Bandy
    So glad this blessed you. It really does express how the Lord works with us and the response He expects from us. You are most welcome to use the info – it is not mine to hold onto…
    Bless you
    Steph

17. Bandy Mills says:

Thanks Steph! I have also recommended this post to someone else who was wondering about the biography. I appreciate your willingness to share and post for the Lord’s glory!
    Blessings to your house!