Knowing Jesus – Major Ian Thomas

My very dear brother Andy, over at Your Word is Truth posted this video a wee while ago, which is an excerpt from a longer sermon.  I came upon it yesterday and got so terribly excited about how much was able to be conveyed about the reality of being a Christian, in a matter of 5 minutes and so wanted to share it here with you. I don’t think that in all my time listening to on-line sermons, that I have heard anything so  succinctly truthful as this one by the late Major Ian Thomas.

How well do you know Jesus? How well do you think He knows you? Do you really know what He wants from you in your relationship with Him, or is it a relationship that is so casual that you kind of pick it up and put it down as your needs change and usually when you cannot see your way through a situation?  Is it really all about your wants, your prayer requests, your deliverance from situations, or is it truly wanting to go into a real relationship with the real person of the Lord Jesus to get to know Him for Himself, but not sure how to begin? Perhaps you don’t even know there is much more than  going to church or youth or reading your Bible, simply because that’s how you have always done it or that is what you have been shown.

Or perhaps you are like I was until not too long ago, where I thought that only pastors and suchlike could have a real relationship with Jesus – that they had something special that allowed them to communicate with God ‘away up there’, and that we ‘others’ could never attain such a thing.  I rejoice to tell you now, how terribly wrong I was…

I really encourage you to now go to the Sermon Index link below to hear the full-length sermon -(you can download it to listen to later if you want).  Ian’s tenderness and love of Christ for the congregation is lovely to listen to as he shares the cutting truth of God’s Word and what God is still looking for in His children today.

The full sermon:    Knowing Jesus (scroll down until you find this title)

May the Holy Spirit speak to you and may He bring about the changes needed and the way you may look at the Lord Jesus where necessary.

To God be all the glory!

In His Love, Steph

😀

Print Friendly
This entry was posted in Videos and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Knowing Jesus – Major Ian Thomas

1. Diane says:

You know I loved this!!!!!!!!:-) 🙂 🙂
    The descriptions of faith he spoke about–trusting as nautrally as breathing really spoke to me. That we can have such a relationship with the God of the universe…that we are so very confident of His good intentions toward us…that it is as natural as breathing….is an amazing thing!! What a blessed thought to be in such communion with Him all the time. Yet, this is how He intends things to be because we are to come to Him as children full of faith and trust with not a care as to how out needs are met….just knowing that they will be.
    I liked that he spoke about how to obtain this: by knowing the object of our faith, as I mentioned previously. The Word is so important—our lifeline, and how we get to know Him.
    Bless you today and hellooooooooooooo way over there across the world!!!

2. Andy says:

Hi Steph,

It is always good to listen to sound preaching and praise God for the integrity of Major Thomas to preach the whole counsel of God.

As a total aside, I don’t know when this sermon was recorded but just listening to it and Major Thomas’s British accent it put me in mind of watching an old black and white film on a Saturday afternoon. I could almost see him preaching.

God bless,

Andy

3. Steph says:

Amen Andy 😀

In addition to what you rightfully say about it, it is also a life-changing sermon. Few people hear such ministry about what it is to live in Jesus His way. It is just so exciting to listen to!!!!

I have taken the whole sermon onto CD and given it to 3 people here who I know will be so excited to hear this.

Yes that’s so funny, I also pictured him in black and white 😀
    Blessings to you too!
    Steph
    xx

4. Ken says:

Steph, I just wanted to say thanks for posting this sermon link!
    It was great…I’m hoping to find all the other sermons that Major
    gave in the same week. Thanks again, Ken

5. Steph says:

Hi Ken 😀
    Welcome to Surrender All and so glad this ministry of the Major blessed you.

I did a bit of a research into exactly what you were looking for yesterday, and so far think from the few I downloaded from SermonIndex, the one called “Knowing the inner Man, body soul and spirit”, comes from the same week. (it sounds the same style of delivery and recording)
    I have made so many copies here of Knowing Jesus to give to brothers and sisters and they are so very excited by this ministry. God is so wonderful and knows exactly what we need and when.
    Bless you 😀
    Steph
    p.s If you manage to find any more, could I impose on you to send me the links -I would be most grateful!

6. Steph says:

I have just found a link to SermonAudio with 46 of the Major’s sermons. Knowing Jesus was given at Christ’s Church there seems to be many others from this church and may be from this week of ministry too there. Have a look 😀 Just click on his name which is a link to the first of two pages. Page two is where it appears will find most of them. Major Ian Thomas

Bless you!

7. Jeff Grant says:

Glad to see that others have been blessed by Maj. Thomas ministry. Yrs ago I used to
    go to his conferences each yr when he visited my area. The Lord used him in a big way
    & still does in my spiritual growth. Major Thomas & a few others were raised up by the Lord in our generation to teach specifically about our identification with Christ . Get his book:”The Saving Life Of Christ”. It is rich in spiritual truth.
    In Him,
    Jeff Grant

8. Steph says:

Hi Jeff 😀
    Thanks so much for your visit and sharing your life-experience with Maj Ian Thomas and how the Lord has used and still uses his ministry to grow you spiritually – such a blessing to hear! The Lord has used him in a few of our lives here after I managed to download some of his ministry onto CD. His sharing of having faith in the bench that you sit on without question has had a huge impact on many – my husband often refers to it. Thanks too for the heads up about his book – will look out for it.
    Bless you, Steph

9. pam knight says:

More of Major Ian Thomas can be found at biblestudytreasures.org and at ravencrest.org and torchbearers.org
    In Christ
    Pam

10. Steph says:

Hi Pam
    Many, many thanks for these links to more of Major Ian Thomas – so appreciated, bless you 😀

11. Helena says:

This is one of my all time favorite sermons. I am trying to find the ones from that whole week in order. Does anyone have that information? I’ve looked at the 46 on the site, but don’t know which ones are from that particular week. They seem to be from many sources.
    Thanks

12. Steph says:

Hi Helena
    Apologies for taking so long to reply to you. I have tried by even writing to the ministry that Maj Ian Thomas started, Torchbearers International to no avail – they could not tell me which ones those were. Here is a link with many of his sermons in Mp3 http://archive.org/search.php?query=major%20Ian%20thomas%20AND%20collection%3Aopensource_audio
    Trust you will find some here
    Bless you
    Steph

13. Dottie says:

Thank you for this post … I am in tears. I just, again, picked up the writings of Ian Thomas about 6 weeks ago … “The Saving Life of Christ” – “The Mystery of Godliness” … and my heart is starting to beat again for the Lord after several years of … seemingly … drought!

14. Steph says:

Good evening Dottie
    I am thrilled to hear this has blessed you so. I too have been through such a period in my own life so I can fully appreciate where you are coming from. May the Lord bless you and keep you encouraged and of course more importantly than anything else, grow you closer to Himself in the ways He knows best.
    Love in Christ